Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Let there be music

When the kids expressed an interest in learning an instrument this year I was excited. The youngest wanted to first learn the violin and the eldest the guitar. Last Wednesday the local University held an open house for the kids to sample lessons in the instrument of interest. The sample lessons weren't lessons at all and it ended up being a complete waste of time. It was going to cost us $1600 for both kids for Fall and Spring semester lessons. For a 4 and 9 year old! Not going to happen this year. Today we headed over to a local music store and I purchased the smallest violin I've ever held. According to the measurements it's just the right size for my youngest. He was so happy he "practiced" for over an hour. He would have "practiced" longer but the basset was howling in protest. The dog probably thinks we're trying to kill him with not one but two violins in the house now.



For the guitar we're picking up a rental 3/4 size acoustic guitar on Friday. He's so excited. He wants to try to figure it out himself for a while but I'm hoping he changes his mind and would like to join a group of beginners his age. I'm trying to cover so much with him in other subjects I would love to have someone else take over the guitar lessons. I don't know why I thought I could handle teaching them both instruments this year. In the past three weeks we've started music theory, language arts(including grammar, spelling & handwriting), math, world history, the study of famous Americans, World and US geography, science and spanish. Thank goodness my husband is responsible for the Spanish. Although so far I'm enjoying relearning all the Spanish I've forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home