Monday, January 29, 2007

Searching for a Passion

One of the things that I feel is challenging in our home schooling is exposing the kids to "extra"curricular activities. I can cover all the basics like writing, math, and science but what about everything else? In school they have art, music and phys ed. In these classes they discover what they really like or don't like about these "extra" subjects. Chance picked gymnastics for the Fall semester and really liked it but when it got time to sign up for this semester he asked me not to sign him up again. This is fine with me. I would rather have him engaged in an extra activity that he likes than struggling to get him to attend. He wanted to try out Taekwondo. Here he is at his first class:

So far so good. It's unlimited classes and he's wanting to go at least four days a week.
Finn loves his swimming and gymnastics classes. He's all set for this semester.

This semester I arranged both classes on the same day so we can make one trip for both. He can swim the length of the pool without help which is fantastic. A year ago he didn't want to put his face in the water so he's come a long way in a year.
It is winter weather here in Illinois and the kids were waiting for another snow so we could head out to go sledding again. Last week I took the kids to the sledding hill. It was a bit icy but we had the hill to ourselves and the kids and I had fun racing each other down the hill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home